Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 12 Hansard (15 October) . . Page.. 4672..
Waste—radioactive storage sites
(Question No 314)
Ms Hunter asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 17 September 2009 (redirected to the Minister for Health):
(1) How many storage sites for radioactive waste are there in the ACT and where are these sites located.
(2) What measures are in place to ensure the safety and security of radioactive storage sites in the ACT.
(3) If storage sites for radioactive waste are located in residential areas, are residents made aware of the location and provided with safety and security information.
(4) Was radioactive waste previously stored at the Grant Cameron Centre in Holder affected by the 2003 bushfires; if so, how.
Ms Gallagher: I am advised that the answer to the member's question is:
(1) There is only one registered government radiation storage facility in the ACT. The location is not publicized for security reasons.
(2) The storage facility is steel construction, locked, located within an intermediate locked compound and within a secured area.
(3) No notifications to surrounding residential properties has occurred. Residential exposure is below detectable limits because of distance from the waste store.
(4) The storage facility was not directly affected by the 2003 bushfires.
Schools—Kingsford Smith school
(Question No 319)
Mr Doszpot asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 17 September 2009:
(1) What ongoing maintenance issues exist at Kingsford Smith School and (a) what section of the school is affected by these issues, (b) what is the estimated cost of the maintenance needed, (c) when were these issues identified and (d) what is the expected completion date for the repairs of the issues identified.
(2) Have any health and safety issues been identified in the canteen at Kingsford Smith School; if so, (a) what issues have been identified, (b) when will the identified issues be addressed and (c) what is the estimated cost of the repair of identified issues.
(3) Have any workplace incidents occurred at the Kingsford Smith School since opening; if so, (a) how many incidents have occurred and (b) were all incidents reported.
(4) Who is the contractor responsible for the maintenance contract at Kingsford Smith School and what is the total cost of this maintenance contract.