Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 12 Hansard (15 October) . . Page.. 4660..
ACTION bus services—standing passengers
(Question No 288)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Transport, upon notice, on 27 August 2009:
(1) Under what conditions specifically does ACTION endorse a limit of 27 standing passengers, noting that (a) the legal safety limit of standing passengers is 27, (b) if there are any more than six standing passengers on a bus it becomes extremely uncomfortable for people travelling, and getting off a bus can be very difficult and (c) ACTION's commitment to accessible travel, including for those people with a disability, may be contravened by ACTION having a limit of 27 standing passengers.
(2) Under what conditions specifically does ACTION not endorse a limit of 27 standing passengers.
(3) Does ACTION intend reducing the limit on standing passengers to something less than 27; if so, when and to what proposed limits.
(4) Will the new ticketing system provide data that will help ACTION to achieve stronger targets.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1. The Australian Design Rule (ADR) specifications determine the legal passenger carrying capacity of a particular bus model. The number of standing passengers can differ depending on the type of bus. ACTION meets the ADR specifications and legal carrying capacity for all its buses. The design of the bus takes into account the wheel chair space and the requirements of those that require this feature of the accessible fleet.
2. See (1).
3. ACTION will continue to meet the ADR specifications for the passenger carrying capacity.
Mental health—advanced directives
(Question No 289)
Ms Bresnan asked the Attorney-General, upon notice, on 27 August 2009:
(1) What is the ACT Government's current policy in regard to advanced directives for people with a mental illness.
(2) What is the ACT Government doing to progress the issue of advanced directives for people with a mental illness.
(3) What are the anticipated ACT Government timelines for progressing this matter in the future.