Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 6 Hansard (11 May) . . Page.. 2213..
(2) What is the projected timeline for the associated development stages of such a facility.
(3) What is the expected total cost for the development of such a facility.
(4) How much ACT Government funding is currently allocated to developing such a facility.
(5) What is the planned capacity (number of patients) for the facility;
(6) Where is the facility proposed to be located.
(7) Have there been any objections by ACT Government agencies to the location of such a unit at Calvary; if so, can the agency and reason please be provided.
Ms Gallagher: I am advised that the answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) In 2006, ACT Health conducted a Project Feasibility Plan for ACT Mental Health Services which included the Young Person's Mental Heath Unit. ACT Health is currently tendering for a site selection process to choose the site for the Unit on the Canberra Hospital. A Project Definition Plan (PDP) has commenced for this project. This will be followed by detailed design.
(2) ACT Health expects the site selection process to be complete by June 2009, and the Project Definition Plan (PDP) to be complete by September 2009. The detailed design is expected to be completed by March 2010.
(3) The total cost of the Young Person's Mental Health Unit will be determined by the Project Definition Plan and detailed design.
(4) The Government has allocated $775,000 for the design of the Young Person's Mental Health Unit. The site selection process and the Project Definition Plan for this Unit are additional to this amount, however as these studies are parts of broader exercises it is not possible to extract out the exact cost just for the Young Person's Mental Health Unit.
(5) The facility is planned to comprise 20 beds.
(6) The facility is proposed to be located on the Canberra Hospital campus.
(7) It was originally proposed to locate the Young Persons Mental Health Unit on the Calvary Hospital site in the area know as "the forest"adjacent to the existing Brian Hennessey Rehabilitation Centre. However, the ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA) advised that this area comes under significant environmental protection that precludes any clearing of protected trees. There are no other site options on the Calvary campus.
Calvary Hospital—mental health inpatient unit
(Question No 137)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 25 March 2009: