Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 6 Hansard (11 May) . . Page.. 2200..
Actew—free recycled water
(Question No 118)
Mrs Dunne asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 24 March 2009 (redirected to the Minister for the Environment, Climate Change and Water):
(1) In relation to the ACTEW Corporation's 2007-08 annual report, how much free recycled water was taken by users from the Lower Molonglo Water Quality Control Centre (LMWQCC) during 2007-08.
(2) How much free recycled water is anticipated to be taken during 2008-09.
(3) What impact does this have on the ACT's agreement with the Murray Darling Basin Commission.
(4) What arrangements are available to non-potable water users to secure supply from other resources where the benefit of taking water from the LMWQCC is unviable because of transport costs.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Recycled water is available free of charge from the LMWQCC in Holt. ACTEW has advised that the amount taken in 2007-08 was 5.1 ML.
(2) It is not possible to anticipate how much recycled water will be made available free of charge in 2008-09 as the amount taken will be subject to the level of water restrictions that applies. Under similar circumstances as those in 2007-08, it is expected that a similar volume of water would be required.
(3) ACTEW has further advised that the ACT is using less water than provided for under the cap.
(4) There are arrangements for the use of non-potable water from the North Canberra Effluent Reuse scheme and the Southwell Park scheme. However, these schemes are at capacity
The ACT Government also provides access to water from natural bodies within the ACT such as Lake Ginninderra on the same terms as other water that can be extracted from the environment. The acquirer of the water must hold a water access entitlement and a licence to take water and pay the respective charges.
(Question No 119)
Mrs Dunne asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 24 March 2009:
(1) In relation to the ACTEW Corporation's 2007-08 annual report, what will be the cost of the smart metering pilot program.
(2) What would full implementation of the program cost.