Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2008 Week 4 Hansard (10 April) . . Page.. 1277..
DR FOSKEY (continuing):
I thank members again for their participation. I am glad I had the opportunity to make these points. For sure, the Greens will be working to improve, as we see it, the situation as time unfolds.
That Dr Foskey's motion be agreed to.
Question so resolved in the negative.
Legislative Assembly—ethics and integrity adviser
MR BERRY (Ginninderra) (11:36): I move:
That this Assembly requests the Speaker to appoint an Ethics and Integrity Adviser for Members of the Legislative Assembly for the Australian Capital Territory with the following functions:
Provision of advice
(1) Advise Members of the Legislative Assembly, when asked to do so by that Member, on ethical issues concerning the exercise of his or her role as a Member (including the use of entitlements and potential conflicts of interest).
(2) Giving advice that is consistent with any code of conduct or other guidelines adopted by the Assembly, but does not include the provision of any legal advice.
(1) The Ethics and Integrity Adviser shall be required to keep records of advice given and the factual information upon which it is based.
(2) The Ethics and Integrity Adviser shall be under a duty to maintain the confidentiality of information provided to him/her in exercising the function and any advice given, but may make public any advice if the person who requested the advice gives permission for it to be made public.
(3) The Assembly shall only call for the production of records of the Ethics and Integrity Adviser if the person to which the records relate has sought to rely