Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2007 Week 12 Hansard (22 November) . . Page.. 3791..
Answers to questions
(Question No 1690)
Mr Mulcahy asked the Minister for the Arts, upon notice, on 25 September 2007:
(1) How many artworks have been moved from the Nolan Gallery to the Canberra Museum and Gallery, or any other place, due to the humidity problem at the Nolan Gallery;
(2) Did any of the artworks at the Nolan Gallery suffer any damage or any wear (above normal wear) due to the humidity problem at the gallery;
(3) How many of the artworks moved from the gallery are currently on display to the public;
(4) Has the conservation expert commissioned to inspect the gallery reported to the Government on the humidity problem; if not, when does the Government anticipate that this report will be received; if so, can the Minister supply a copy of this report;
(5) If the Minister cannot provide the report as outlined in part (4), when does the Government anticipate that this report will be made available to the public;
(6) What, if any, other information has currently been received from the conservation expert;
(7) Will the Minister supply documentation in relation to any information received as outlined in part (6);
(8) If the conservation expert has reported to the Government what, if any, decision has been made as to the future of the Nolan Gallery and the artworks that were formerly displayed in the gallery;
(9) If no decision has been made as to the future of the Nolan Gallery, when does the Government anticipate that a decision will be made.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) All of the artworks from the Nolan Gallery have been moved to the Canberra Museum and Gallery, with the exception of two works that are currently at the Art Gallery of New South Wales - please refer to answer to part (3). The works moved from the Nolan Gallery comprise 44 paintings and 246 works on paper, including the 24 Foundation Collection works.
(2) There is no damage due to humidity to any of the artworks.
(3) Twelve paintings from the Nolan Gallery Foundation Collection, including works from the Ned Kelly series, are currently on display at the Canberra Museum and Gallery. Two further works are currently on display as part of the Sidney Nolan Retrospective exhibition at the Art Gallery of New South Wales. A number of other works were recently included in a major exhibition at the Australian National University Drill Hall Gallery.