Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2007 Week 10 Hansard (18 October) . . Page.. 3193..
(1) The Canberra Hospital employs a total of 376.44 junior and senior doctors.
Calvary Health Care ACT draws from a pool of 111 doctors on a part time or full time basis (this excludes Visiting Medical Officers or doctors seconded from the Canberra Hospital).
(2) Due to the high proportion of NSW residents accessing the public health system in the ACT (that is 25% of the hospital workload); providing the ratio of doctors to population in the ACT would not be meaningful.
(3) The Canberra Hospital has approximately 25 unfilled positions (roughly 6.5%). However many of these positions are filled by casuals, locums, overtime by doctors or VMOs.
Calvary Health Care ACT - currently has 6 unfilled doctor positions that are filled by locums and 0.5 of a position that is unfilled.
(Question No 1657)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 23 August 2007 (redirected to the Acting Minister for Health):
(1) How many nurses resigned from (a) Calvary Hospital and (b) The Canberra Hospital in (i) 2005-06, (ii) 2004-05 and (iii) 2003-04;
(2) How many nursing staff were employed and retained over the periods stated in part (1) at (a) Calvary Hospital and (b) The Canberra Hospital;
(3) How many of those stated in part (2) were (a) enrolled and (b) registered nurses;
(4) How many of these nurses were employed under the Graduates Program;
(5) What is the number of nursing positions required but not filled at (a) The Canberra Hospital and (b) Calvary Hospital.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
The Canberra Hospital