Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2007 Week 8 Hansard (30 August) . . Page.. 2565..
Answers to questions
(Question No 1604)
Dr Foskey asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 29 May 2007:
(1) Has the Department of Territory and Municipal Services conducted any studies into traffic flows on Goyder Street, Narrabundah, which is classed as residential but used as a short cut to Hindmarsh Drive by a high volume of drivers;
(2) What measures does the Department intend to take to curb dangerous driving behaviour on this street, particularly in regard to cars speeding, not observing stop signs and driving at unsafe speeds over speed bumps, given that the current traffic control measures do little to control this;
(3) Have the speed bumps on Goyder Street been lowered from their original height, therefore facilitating, rather than curbing, speeding;
(4) What will be the impact of planned new residential developments on Goyder Street on traffic flows and the availability of resident parking;
(5) Can the Minister provide figures on the number of pedestrian and vehicle accidents on this road in the past five years, or for any number of years for which records are available if less than five years.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1. Traffic studies on Goyder Street, Dalrymple Street and Sprent Street have been carried out and, following consultation with local residents, several measures were implemented on these streets to reduce traffic speed and through traffic.
As part of the on going traffic monitoring program, a post implementation evaluation was carried last year to assess the effectiveness of the above measures. The residents of Narrabundah were consulted and their comments and concerns were taken into consideration.
This evaluation recommended the need for changes at the intersection of Goyder and Dalrymple Street to improve traffic safety. Further studies are now being carried out to determine the most appropriate improvement and residents will again be consulted before implementation.
2. My Department considers that there is adequate traffic calming measures already installed on Goyder Street to reduce traffic speed and to deter through traffic. In addition the street is designated as one in which mobile speed cameras can operate. The traffic situation on this road will be monitored on a regular basis and further action will be taken if considered necessary. Also ACT Policing will be requested to increase the enforcement if considered necessary.
3. There were some modifications carried out at the speed humps on Goyder Street at the time of installation. This was because they had been initially installed incorrectly. Currently these devices are operating satisfactorily and hence my Department has no further plans to modify these devices.