Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2007 Week 7 Hansard (23 August) . . Page.. 2122..
(Question No 1599)
Mr Stefaniak asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 29 May 2007:
(1) What changes have occurred in police numbers in 2006-07 to date;
(2) What have been the changes in police numbers within the various areas of the ACT Australian Federal Police during that period;
(3) What is the average (a) recruitment and (b) staffing costs incurred for police officers recruited in 2006-07 to date.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The total ACT Policing staff numbers for the period 2006-07 are as below:
(2) Staff numbers within ACT Policing work areas continuously fluctuate in accordance with operational priorities. The distribution of staff across ACT Policing portfolios at any given time is approximately:
Operational Response functions (including District Patrols, Territory Investigations Group, Traffic Operations and Specialist Response and Security): 60%
Other Operational functions: 20%
The balance of staff of 20% is constituted by Operations Support and Administrative functions.
(3) (a) The average recruitment cost per police recruit in 2006-7 is $14,000. This amount represents the actual cost to ACT Policing of salary (while undergoing training) and training delivery for each recruit deployed to ACT Policing.
(b) The average staffing cost per police recruit in 2006-07 is $40,000. This amount represents the post graduation staffing cost, including salary and on-costs to ACT Policing, for each recruit deployed to ACT Policing for the remainder of their first year of service.