Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 13 Hansard (14 December) . . Page.. 4234..
(Question No 1255)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Business and Economic Development, upon notice, on 20 September 2006:
(1) In relation to Action 6 in the Economic White Paper, what action has the ACT Government taken to introduce an Export Growth Program;
(2) What new city-to-city relationships have been investigated or developed in the context of the ACT Government's export strategy;
(3) What action is being taken to (a) build on the ACT's strength in education exports and (b) facilitate better access by ACT businesses to Commonwealth Government export programs.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The ACT Export Growth Program was introduced in May 2004.
(2) No new city-to-city relationships have been investigated or developed. However the Government is supporting three overseas trade offices in Shanghai, Shenzhen and Washington DC.
The Government also has cooperative partnerships with the London Development Authority (LDA), the Greater Washington Initiative (GWI), the Ottawa Centre for Research & Innovation (Ottawa, Canada), and an MOU with the Manchester City Council.
(3) (a) Recent actions taken to build on the ACT's strength in education exports include:
(i) initiating a project, in conjunction with Austrade, in which five leading education journalists from target countries or regions (China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Middle East) visited Canberra's education institutions and attend aspects of Focus on Business in September 2006;
(ii) the endorsement of the Education Export Strategy;