Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 14 Hansard (24 November) . . Page.. 4702..
(10) Each complaint is investigated to ascertain any underlying reasons for the matter and to bring the complaint to the attention of the responsible organisation. Corrective measures include:
Collins Park community-built bike track
(Question No 717)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 20 October 2005:
(1) Why was a bike path demolished at Collins Park in Forrest that was constructed by several children that live in the surrounding area;
(2) Were they given any notice as to the demolition;
(3) Is the park in question nominated for heritage listing;
(4) Were the children and any other users of the park offered any alternative options that would allow them to make use of a bike track;
(5) Where is the nearest facility that can be classified as a "skate park"or "BMX park";
(6) Is this an acceptable alternative facility given the distance that must be travelled;
(7) How many (a) skate and (b) BMX parks are there in Canberra and where are they located;
(8) Was a bicycle that was left behind by one of the children bulldozed over by the front-end loaders that were contracted to remove the bike track; if so, was the owner compensated and offered an official apology;
(9) Has the Department of Urban Services demolished any other community built bike tracks; if so, where are they and what were the reasons for their destruction.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) A routine inspection of Collins Park in Forrest found that approximately 6-8 bike jumps and holes had been constructed within the park. These holes and jumps were considered a safety hazard to the public because: