Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 14 Hansard (24 November) . . Page.. 4696..
Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal community health service
(Question No 709)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice, on 19 October 2005:
(1) In relation to Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Community Health Service, will the Housing Liaison Service for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people receive further on-going funding from Housing ACT; if not, why not;
(2) What benefits has the Housing Liaison Service provided to clients of the Community Health Service in relation to resolving accommodation issues.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Base funding of $59,405 per annum for the Housing Liaison Service has been committed until 2007-08.
(2) The Housing Liaison Service assists clients with access to appropriate housing options, supports clients with applications for Housing ACT and community housing, establishes links to various support services, and implements mechanisms for appropriate intervention to reduce the incidents of rental arrears and evictions.
Gugan Gulwan Aboriginal Corporation program
(Question No 710)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services (redirected to the Minister for Children, Youth and Family Support) , upon notice, on 19 October 2005:
(1) In relation to Gugan Gulwan Aboriginal Corporation Program, how much of the $140 012 funding allocated over three years to the Youth Centre has been expended;
(2) What benefits has Gugan Gulwan gained from the delivery of services through the Youth Centre to Indigenous youth with the assistance of this funding.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) In 2004-05 the Government purchased Youth Centre services from Gugan Gulwan Youth Aboriginal Corporation at a cost of $140, 012. This is the first year of a $388,214 three year contract which runs from 1 July 2004 to 30 June 2007.
Schedule 2 of the contract specifies the services, outcomes, outputs, performance indicators and performance requirements under the terms of the contract. A copy of the contract can be found on the ACT Government Contracts register at: www.basis.act.gov.au
(2) Gugan Gulwan Youth Centre provides a-drop in service for 30 hours each week and provides a regular outreach support for Indigenous young people who cannot attend the youth centre. A Young Mum's Group is held each Tuesday morning and includes a numeracy and literacy class and information sessions on topics such as domestic violence, nutrition and legal aid. A Young Women's Mentoring Group is held on