Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 12 Hansard (20 October) . . Page.. 4051..
(6) - (10) These questions should be directed to the ACT Multicultural Council Inc.
(Question No 643)
DR FOSKEY asked the Minister for the Environment, upon notice, on 21 September 2005:
(1) Can a copy of the Animal Welfare Advisory Council (AWAC) 2005-06 work plan be provided;
(2) How many members make up the AWAC;
(3) What are the responsibilities of the AWAC members;
(4) On what dates has the AWAC met so far in 2005;
(5) What work has the AWAC predominately undertaken since January 2005;
(6) What formal advice has the AWAC provided to the Minister since January 2005;
(7) What was the ACT Government's response to the advice given.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) A 2005-06 work plan for the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (AWAC) has not been developed.
(2) Nine members make up the AWAC.
(3) The Committee is a statutory body established under the Animal Welfare Act 1992. The Committee represents community views on animal welfare in the ACT. The Committee facilitates the development of a balanced and coordinated approach to animal welfare matters and provides expert advice to the Minister on animal welfare issues.
The specific functions of the Committee are:
(a) To advise the Minister on any matters relating to existing or proposed legislation affecting the welfare of animals;
(b) To investigate and advise the Minister of any matter, policy or practice affecting the welfare of animals;
(c) To participate, in conjunction with the Animal Welfare Unit, in the development of codes of practice relating to animals and their welfare and to review and endorse existing codes where appropriate;
(d) To provide advice to government and non-government bodies on programs to improve community awareness about animals and their humane treatment; and