Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 12 Hansard (20 October) . . Page.. 4015..
Children—early intervention programs
(Question No 565)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Children, Youth and Family Support, upon notice, on 26 August 2005:
(1) How much money was allocated as a result of the Vardon Report for the implementation of early intervention programs;
(2) What process did the Government follow to choose early intervention programs to be funded;
(3) Did the Government choose the Positive Parenting Program over other programs, such as Parent Effectiveness Training; if so, why;
(4) Did the Government consider funding a suite of different types of programs; if not, why not.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) In response to the Vardon report, the Government allocated an additional $730,000 for the implementation of early intervention programs as part of The Territory as Parent Implementation Strategy (August 2004).
(2) The Office for Children, Youth and Family Support was informed by the Early Intervention, Prevention and Communication Reference Group. Membership of the Reference Group is drawn from Government and community sector organisations.
(3) Yes - The Office for Children, Youth and Family Support decision, supported the Reference Group recommendation to provide training for practitioners (government and non-government) in the Positive Parenting Program.
(4) The 2005/06 Budget Papers identify a range of early intervention programs.
(Question No 566)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Planning, upon notice, on 26 August 2005:
(1) Has the ACT Government commenced its direct sales program, run by the Land Development Authority, to support the Government's specified social and community objectives;
(2) Which specified Government social and community objectives are being met via the implementation of the direct sales program;
(3) Which portions of land are being identified and prepared for use as facilities for community based organisations.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows: