Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 11 Hansard (22 September) . . Page.. 3657..
the collision, (c) who was found to be at fault and (d) have ACTION been subject to any insurance claims as a result of such incidents;
(14) Has the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) officers of ACTION or any other similar representative body expressed concerns about these bike racks; if so, what are those concerns and have the bike racks since been given OH&S approval; if not, why not.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) 65; 4 installed.
(2) Budget allocation of $345,000 for bike racks, installation, public education/awareness campaign and training.
(3) Proposed to complete implementation process: November 2005.
(4) Any costs will be incorporated in the ongoing vehicle maintenance regime.
(5) It is the responsibility of the bike owner/rider to stow and un-stow the bike rack and to mount and dismount bikes.
(6) (a) Drivers -education/awareness program will be provided. The program will cover the use of the bike rack, practical demonstration, hand out of literature outlining ACTION's usage policy and a Q&A session where all drivers' questions about the use of the racks will be answered.
(b) Passenger bike owner/rider - education/awareness program will be provided.
(8) No, if the bike rack is full bikes will not be allowed inside the bus due to safety issues. If the bike rack is full the passenger bike owner/rider has the option of waiting for the next bus. As all bike racks will be installed on the Intertown 300 series, the waiting period would be approximately 6 minutes during peak hours.
(10) When the rack is in the down position with bikes fitted it will be necessary for drivers to make allowances for the extra length of the bus.
(11) See response (10)
(12) Driver TWU delegates and OH&S representatives conducted route audits, in non-operational and operational conditions, with two buses fitted with bike racks and bicycles. Issues raised by these groups have been addressed by ACTION.
(14) See response (12).