Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 9 Hansard (16 August) . . Page.. 2731..
MR STANHOPE (continuing):
give real consideration to existing restriction regimes. This is an issue for Actew. We are currently on level 2 restrictions and Actew will be deciding, or announcing, I think within the next week, its decision in relation to spring-whether we remain at level 2 or go to level 3.
I note comments from Mr Mackay last week suggesting that he would be surprised if there were any need now to go to level 3 restrictions, as a result of the enhanced rain and the reticulation capacity-a reticulation capacity which, within the next couple of months, will be significantly enhanced to the tune of 150 megalitres. It begs the question for the future-it would be fantastic if we could be assured that we will not have to go to level 3 restrictions over this summer, with this capacity and this security that we now have through these steps that have been taken-and leads us to address the next major issue facing the community. That is a need for us to determine never to return to the culture around water use in Canberra that prevailed in the past and is in the history of many of us. We need to put in place a permanent, so-called, restriction regime that reflects our determination to change the way in which we use and value water. This is very relevant to the decision the government will take shortly in relation to the long-term security needs. It also allows us to smile ruefully at the lengths to which the Liberal Party has gone-particularly the shadow minister for the environment, who has marooned herself as the "dam or die"or "dam or bust"party. I recall with some wry amusement that before the last election Liberal Party policy was that, if elected, they would commence construction of a dam the day after the election. I remember the promise.
Mr Speaker, I ask that further questions be placed on the notice paper.
Supplementary answer to question without notice
Quamby Youth Centre
MS GALLAGHER: Mr Speaker, on 29 June, Mr Stefaniak asked me a question about the breakdown of all the costs related to the new demountable building at Quamby. As I said on 29 June, we agreed with the Queensland government on a price of $90,000 for the transportable and contract documentation is being finalised. The relocation of facilities, which includes transport, associated works, disassembly, reassembly and making good, that is, re-establishing internal finishes after transporting, upgrading as necessary, re-establishing security and refurnishing, is the subject of a tendering process. I will advise the Assembly progressively as the tender process rolls out and contracts have been made with successful tenderers in relation to the transportable facility.
As I indicated on 29 June, the expected final cost projection for this work is approximately $1.6 million. In relation to other upgrades at Quamby, a budget of approximately $1.9 million has been established for improvements to the existing facilities, for improvements to residential areas, for upgrading of the administration building, for improvements to security and communications, and for external landscaping, including safety works, and an Aboriginal ceremonies area.
Motion of censure
MR STANHOPE (Ginninderra-Chief Minister, Attorney-General, Minister for the Environment and Minister for Arts, Heritage and Indigenous Affairs): I made comments