Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 5 Hansard (7 April) . . Page.. 1600..
Waste disposal—illegal dumping
(Question No 220)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 8 March 2005:
(1) When is the Department of Urban Services going to remove a white washing machine dumped in the forest on Wednesday, 2 March 2005 at Denman Street, Yarralumla above the brickworks and visible from the road;
(2) Will the Department be prosecuting the offender given that the dumping of this washing machine was seen by witnesses and the registration number of the vehicle driven by the offender noted and subsequently reported; if not, why not.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The washing machine in question was removed at 11:30am on Tuesday 8 March 2005.
(2) The Department has no record of having received a report from a member of the community on the dumping of the machine. The Department will be pleased to receive and investigate any information concerning illegal dumping.
(Question No 222)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 8 March 2005:
(1) How many reports were received by police regarding burnout activity and or drag racing in the (a) Gungahlin, (b) Tuggeranong, (c) Belconnen, (d) City and (e) Woden areas (i) in 2003-04 and (ii) to date in 2004-05;
(2) On how many occasions, when these reports were made to police, was a police car/officer despatched to address the report/s;
(3) What were the response times for those instances when police were sent to address the report and from which police station were police sent;
(4) For those instances where a car/officer was not despatched to the scene at the time of, or within a short period of time of, the report, why was this the case;
(5) In how many cases were offenders (a) warned, (b) apprehended, (c) charged and (d) cars confiscated;
(6) In how many cases were offenders not able to be located;
(7) In how many cases were (a) vehicle registration numbers reported to police and (b) the offenders identified, apprehended and/or charged as a result of the follow up of these reported registration numbers;
(8) What is the Government doing to increase the police presence in these areas to deter and prevent this sort of activity and other criminal activity.