Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 4 Hansard (17 March) . . Page.. 1247..
(Question No 120)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 15 February 2005:
(1) In relation to proposals to build flexible accommodation at Birrigai, what is the total number of units proposed;
(2) How many (a) motel and (b) cabin units are proposed to be available;
(3) When will this accommodation be completed;
(4) Will this accommodation be operated by the ACT Department of Education and Training or subleased to private operators;
(5) If it will be operated by the ACT Government, what is the estimated level of staffing;
(6) Have the plans for this accommodation been finalised;
(7) Have these proposals been approved by the Tidbinbilla Valley Board;
(8) Has a development application been submitted to the ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA); if so, has ACTPLA approved the development application;
(9) If a development application has been submitted but not yet approved, has ACTPLA advised of any concerns about the proposal;
(10) Has any work been done to determine the financial viability of this proposal; if so, what was the outcome.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) There are 7 cabins to be constructed.
(2) Seven self-contained two-bedroom cabins providing accommodation for 34 people. There are also 2 existing dormitory style accommodation blocks.
(3) Based on the proposed construction schedule, by January 2006.
(4) This accommodation is part of the Birrigai Outdoor School, which is operated by ACT Department of Education and Training.
(5) The Birrigai Outdoor School will operate the accommodation and other facilities with its present staffing levels.
(7) ACTPLA approved the development application for replacement of the education facilities on 26 August 2004. The Tidbinbilla Valley Board was not established until late August 2004 and did not meet until September 2004. The Tidbinbilla Valley Board has viewed the plans for the development and visited the Birrigai site.