Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004-2005 Week 1 Hansard (9 December) . . Page.. 341..
National Zoo and Aquarium-expansion
(Question No 39)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Economic Development, upon notice, on 8 December 2004:
(1) Where is the Government up to in deciding on whether to allocate additional land to the National Zoo and Aquarium to expand its premises;
(2) What is causing the long delay in finalising a decision on this matter;
(3) When will the National Zoo and Aquarium owners be given a final decision on whether they can or cannot have additional land.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The Government has agreed to allocate the additional land to the National Zoo and Aquarium, subject to a number of conditions. The Zoo is currently considering the terms of this offer.
(2) There was no delay in finalising this matter. There were a wide range of issues that needed to be considered, not the least of which was a planning study of the area undertaken by a consultant on behalf of the National Capital Authority. This study recommended making the majority of the land requested available to the zoo.
(3) The National Zoo and Aquarium owners were given the final decision regarding the additional land following the Government's decision in early August.
(Question No 40)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 8 December 2004:
(1) Did the Healthy Territory Brochure of July 2004 state in the article titled New policy to manage elective surgery waiting lists that an extensive consultation has commenced with A.C.T. surgeons and the new guidelines will be completed by August 2004; if so, have these guidelines been completed;
(2) If the guidelines have been completed, where may copies be obtained; if not, (a) why has there been a delay in producing these new guidelines and (b) will they be completed and available publicly;
(3) Why are the guidelines being developed and what do you expect will be the direction of this new policy to manage elective surgery waiting lists.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The November 2004 Elective Surgery Waiting List Management Policy has been completed and has been distributed to all surgeons this month.