Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004 Week 7 Hansard (1 July) . . Page.. 3268..
Red light cameras
(Question No 1573)
Mr Cornwell asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 22 June 2004:
(1) Is the A.C.T. Government to install joint speed and red light cameras at intersections in the A.C.T.;
(2) If so, (a) when will these be installed, (b) when will they come into operation, (c) how many such cameras will there be and (d) at which intersections will these joint cameras be installed;
(3) Why is the installation being done;
(4) How much additional revenue is expected to be raised from this exercise;
(5) How much will it cost to (a) install/convert these cameras and (b) operate and maintain them;
(6) Which other States / Territories have (a) installed such cameras to date and (b) indicated they will do so in the future.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) There are no plans to install further cameras. For your information the details of the current situation are provided:
The ACT has 9 red light cameras. All are joint speed and red light cameras and have been since the day of installation. Press advertisements providing information about joint red light and speed cameras appeared in local papers on 14 June 2003.
Three cameras were installed in 2000; three in 2001; and three in 2002. They are installed at the following locations:
Northbourne Avenue, Barry Drive and Cooyong Street, Civic
Drakeford Drive and Marconi Crescent, Kambah
Southern Cross Drive and Coulter Drive, Belconnen
Ginninderra Drive and Coulter Drive, Belconnen
Ginninderra Drive and Aikman Drive, Belconnen
Barry Drive and Marcus Clarke Street, Civic
Hindmarsh Drive/Tuggeranong Parkway, Woden
Northbourne Avenue/Mouat Street/Antill Street, Dickson
Northbourne Avenue/London Circuit, Civic