Legislative Assembly for the ACT: Week 5 Hansard (25 May) . . Page.. 2239..
Recurrent funding of $500k in the 2003-4 budget was used to reduce the waiting time for restorative and denture services by developing and implementing partnerships with private providers and recruiting additional dental officers in the program.
The target for 2003-04 was to refer 600 clients out to private providers. This target has been achieved. 625 clients have been referred out under the schemes.
At 30 March 2004 the no. of clients waiting for restorative services is 2079 and waiting time is 13 months. At 1 July 2003 there were 2438 clients waiting for restorative services and the waiting time was 22 months.
Number of clients
There are 217 clients booked for denture work and waiting time for Category 1 (highest priority group) is 10 weeks, Category 2 is 16 weeks, and Category 3 is 20 weeks.
The Program demonstrated downward trends in the centralised waiting list for restorative services. With the increased funding, the increase in capacity due to the triage for emergency services and the increase in dental officer staffing in the Program the number of clients waiting and the waiting time is the lowest on record since the withdrawal of the Commonwealth funding in 1997.
(Question No 1458)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 1 April 2004:
(1) How much of the $310 000 allocated in the 2003-04 Budget for Corrections Health has been expended to date;
(2) What is the breakdown of the funding that has occurred since this funding was allocated;
(3) Has this funding enabled the provision of an integrated comprehensive health service across all custodial correctional facilities as promised; if so, how is this the case; if not, why not.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is:
(1) At the end of the March 2004, $232 000 of the $310 000 allocated to Corrections Health has been expended.
(2) Of the $310 000 allocated to Corrections the breakdown of funding was as follows;
(*Includes GP Clinic expenditure for Symonston)