Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004 Week 1 Hansard (12 February) . . Page.. 373..
(5) How much money was spent on a recent campaign encouraging people to consider becoming foster carers/parents;
(6) Further to (5), what were such funds expended on;
(7) Did this campaign have any impact on the overall number of foster carers/parents;
(8) Are any further such campaigns proposed in the period to 30 June 2004. If so, please provide current details, if not, why not.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to Mrs Burke's question is:
(1) There were 298 children in out of home care as at 30 November 2003. Of the 298 children, 108 are cared for by Kin. These numbers do not include 7 children in Kinship Care who are by choice not receiving financial support.
(2) No specific data is kept by the Department of Education, Youth and Family Services database on grandparents. The category used in the database is "Care by Kin"which can include blood and biological relatives, but can also include other significant people who have had previous relationship with the child.
(3) Kinship carers, including grandparents, are provided with both personal and financial support from case workers within the regional offices of Family Services. This support is offered particularly to children who are on court orders and also children who are on child protection follow up.
(4) Registered foster carers in the ACT are:
(a) to date
(b) in 2002-03
Questions (5), (6), (7) and (8) relate to activities that are instigated and undertaken by the non-government agencies that Family Services currently have funding arrangements with, such as Barnardos, Galilee and Marymead. The expenditure for campaigns encouraging people to consider becoming foster carers/parents would be out of their operational funds and therefore not provided to us in the detail required for these questions.
(Question No 1139)
Mr Stefaniak asked the Minister for Arts and Heritage, upon notice:
In relation to the Nolan Gallery:
(1) What funds does the ACT Government provide to the Nolan Gallery on an annual basis?