Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004 Week 1 Hansard (12 February) . . Page.. 365..
Vocational education and training
(Question No 1119)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Education, Youth and Family Services, upon notice, on 25 November 2003:
In relation to training and Adult Education (TAE) in the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector:
(1) Please provide details as to how the $500,000 funding given to TAE has been used to date. Please indicate what, of remaining funds, expenditure is proposed, and when;
(2) Please give details of the mechanism used by the Government to currently obtain industry advice to assist in the development of VET in the ACT;
(3) What mechanisms for feedback are in place to ensure that the training given via the training packages is meeting the current needs of business and industry in the ACT.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to Mrs Burke's question is:
(1) The total Appropriation allocated for the coordination and purchasing of vocational education and training services, administered by Training and Adult Education, is $19.253m. There is no identified initiative in the current budget for an amount of $500,000 "funding given to TAE". As such I am unaware of the nature of the funds to which the question refers.
(2) Sources of industry advice include:
Feedback from consultation documents
The newly formed ACT Industry Advisory Association provides industry information on the 19 major industry areas at half yearly intervals. Demographic, economic and labour force indicators also feed into this planning process.
(3) Feedback is provided through a number of mechanisms including:
National Training Package Consultation process
National Training Package Review process
High Level Review of Training Packages
Information is also gathered from a number of sources, through Industry Training Advisory Board consultation and business and industry forums as well as from individuals and registered training organisations as part of client focus surveys.