Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 9 Hansard (21 August) . . Page.. 2746..
(2) (a) The current lessee is St Nicholas School Ltd.
(b) The lease granted to St Nicholas School Ltd commenced on 3 June 1998.
(c) The lease purpose clause for Block 2 allows for a pre-school and childcare centre for a maximum of eighteen children.
(d) A premium of $85,000, payable as follows, was charged for the lease:
$8,500 on acceptance of the lease; and
the balance on quarterly instalments over five years.
(3) (a) It appears there was no proposed use for Block 3 at the time the pre-school was originally constructed.
(b) Block 3 is quite small and probably not large enough to be developed for a separate community facility. It is however suitable for the type of extension proposed by St Nicholas School.
(4) There are no documents on files which provides information to respond to this question. The area not used for pre-school purposes has been maintained over the years.
(5) (a&b) The previous Government gave "in principle" agreement to the sale of Block 3 to St Nicholas School Ltd in July 2001. No offer of lease has been made.
(c) The Australian Valuation Office has advised that the market value of Block 3 for the proposed use is $40,000.
(d) St Nicholas School has applied for the direct sale of the block to extend their pre-school facilities and improve access and parking arrangements.
(6) (a) Confirmation that the proposed use of the land was permitted under the Territory was sought from Planning and Land Management.
(b) Due to its size it would be unsuitable for most community uses. No other community organisations have expressed an interest in the land.
(8) A letterbox drop occurred in late May seeking comments from residents in the locality. Since that time two formal meetings and several informal discussions have occurred with local residents, the Yarralumla Residents Association (the YRA) and St Nicholas School. The Land Group within my Department is continuing to consult with residents, the YRA and St Nicholas School to progress the application.