Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 8 Hansard (27 June) . . Page.. 2397..
Answers to questions
(Question No 173-amended)
Mr Humphries asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 4 June 2002:
(1) What is the quantum of gambling tax collected in the ACT for the current financial year as at 31 March 2002.
(2) Is the quantum of gambling tax collected as at 31 March 2002 greater or less than the estimates prepared for the 2001 ACT Budget.
(3) What has been the trend in the payment of gambling tax during the period between 1 October 2001 and 31 March 2002.
(4) How has this pattern of payment of gambling tax varied from the same period in the previous financial year.
(5) What has been the basis for any changes in the pattern of payments of gambling tax between this and the previous financial year.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(2) Less than budget estimates by $3,311,604.
(3) No significant trends are seen to be developing in the payment of gambling tax during the period 1 October 2001 and 31 March 2002. After a peak in January 2002, gambling tax revenue appeared in slow decline during February and March 2002. However this is consistent with the payment trends for the corresponding period for the previous financial year. See graph below and at part (4).