Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 7 Hansard (6 June) . . Page.. 2094..
General purpose funding
(Question No 174)
Mr Humphries asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 4 June 2002:
(1) What is the quantum of general purpose funding received in the ACT for the current financial year as at 31 March 2002.
(2) Is the quantum of general purpose funding received as at 31 March 2002 greater or less than the estimates prepared for the 2001 ACT Budget.
(3) What has been the trend in the payment of general purpose funding during the period between 1 October 2001 and 31 March 2002.
(4) How has this pattern of payment of general purpose funding varied from the same period in the previous financial year.
(5) What has been the basis for any changes in the pattern of payments of general purpose funding between this and the previous financial year.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) General purpose funding is defined as GSA Revenue, Budget Balancing Assistance, Special Fiscal Needs and National Competition Policy Payments. The General purpose funding received during the financial year to March 2002 is $465.8m.
(2) General purpose funding received to 31 March 2002, is approximately $5.2m above the original estimate for 31 March 2002.
(3) There is no trend as such within the period 1 October 2001 and 31 March 2002.
(4) There is no discernible change in the pattern of payment of general purpose funding between the two periods. However, the quantum of the payment has increased from 2000-01 to 2001-02.
Regular equal payments are made for Special Fiscal Needs, and National Competition Policy payments. GSA Revenue payments are based on the proportion of GSA collected in each month, and Budget Balancing Assistance reflects the latest estimate of assistance required.
(5) Again there is no discernible change in the pattern of general purpose funding between the two periods.