Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 7 Hansard (6 June) . . Page.. 2089..
I would like to confirm again that the site of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy is within the Parliamentary Triangle, and is therefore on National Land. National Land is managed by the Commonwealth.
Information relating to the questions 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 are under the portfolio of the federal Minister for Regional Services, Territories and Local Government, the Hon Wilson Tuckey MP. Question 7 also relates to the authority of the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Therefore, I suggest you refer these questions to the federal Ministry of Regional Services, Territories and Local Government and the AFP for an appropriate response.
I also have no information on the involvement, if any, of Ngunnawal Elders in the organisation and support of the tent embassy.
Budget assistance grants
(Question No 168)
Mr Humphries asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 4 June 2002:
(1) What is the quantum of balancing budget assistance grants received in the ACT for the current financial year as at 31 March 2002.
(2) Is the quantum of balancing budget assistance grants received as at 31 March 2002 greater or less than the estimates prepared for the 2001 ACT Budget.
(3) What has been the trend in the payment of balancing budget assistance grants during the period between 1 October 2001 and 31 March 2002.
(4) How has this pattern of payment of balancing budget assistance grants varied from the same period in the previous financial year.
(5) What has been the basis for any changes in the pattern of payments of balancing budget assistance grants between this and the previous financial year.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The Budget Balancing Assistance, or BBA, received during the financial year to March 2002 is $36.6m.
(2) BBA received in the year to 31 March 2002 is greater than the estimate of $28.8m in the 2001-02 ACT Budget and reflects the Commonwealth's revised forecasts of GST revenue.
(3) There have been two payments of BBA in the period from 1 October 2001 to 31 March 2002. The first payment in October 2001 was $10.9 m, and the second payment in January 2002 was $15.7 m.
(4) The ACT did not receive any BBA payments from 1 October 2000 to 31 March 2001. The 2000-01 BBA entitlement was paid in full in July 2000 rather than in quarterly payments.