Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 5 Hansard (9 May) . . Page.. 1466..
(Question No 129)
Mr Stefaniak asked the Attorney-General, upon notice, on 9 April 2002:
(1) How many staff are in the department.
(2) How many staff are in each section.
(3) How many consultants are contracted by the department.
(4) How many consultants are contracted by each section.
(5) What is the name of each consultant.
(6) What is the nature of work carried out by each consultancy.
(7) What is the cost of each consultancy.
(8) What is the duration of each consultancy.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
The information sought is published in the Annual Report of the Department of Justice and Community Safety. It was last published in the Department's Annual Report of 2000/2001 (see extracts attached). It will again be published in the Department's Annual Report for 2001/2002, later this year.
The compilation of this material is geared to the annual reporting cycle and it would be expensive in time and resources to have to provide this information outside that cycle. Further, the Department of Justice and Community Safety relates both to my responsibilities as Attorney-General and certain portfolio responsibilities of the Deputy Chief Minister. To provide the information sought in respect of those parts of the Department relating to the Attorney-General's functional responsibilities would add to the complexities of the task.
Information in respect to numbers of staff in a specific area of the Department or in respect to particular consultancies could be provided on request.