Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 5 Hansard (9 May) . . Page.. 1465..
Mini hydro-electricity generating plants
(Question No 128)
Mrs Dunne asked the Deputy Chief Minister, upon notice, on 9 April 2002:
In relation to progress on mini-hydro plants:
(1) Is the Government committed to building the already approved mini hydro electricity generating plants at Cotter and Corin dams.
(2) If so, what work has been done to date.
(3) What are the expected completion dates.
(4) What is the envisaged total cost.
(5) Are there further plans to build hydro plants in the ACT.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) While the Government supports ACTEW Corporation in ACTEW's investigation of the viability of building mini-hydro electricity generating plants at Cotter and Corin dams, the final decision is a matter for ACTEW.
(2) I have been advised that ACTEW has undertaken feasibility studies into the development of mini hydro-electricity generating plants at both Corin and Cotter Dams. ACTEW is also finalising a project for the construction of a hydro power station at Googong Dam.
(3) Decisions to proceed with the projects have not been taken at this stage and hence no planned completion dates have been determined.
(4) The Corin Dam hydro is estimated to cost $4.4 million. The Cotter Dam project is estimated to cost $1.1 million.
(5) I have also been advised that ACTEW is considering the feasibility of a small hydro power project at the Lower Molonglo Water Quality Control Centre.