Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 4 Hansard (11 April) . . Page.. 1177..
(Question No 116)
Mr Cornwell asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice:
In relation to Lyons Oval.
(1) What is the annual cost of maintenance.
(2) What is the programmed level of maintenance.
(3) What is the state of the underground sprinkler system.
(4) What would be the cost to have that system operational again.
(5) What would be the annual maintenance cost if the oval was irrigated.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
(1) The current cost is approximately $1,500 per year.
(2) The current specification essentially requires the contractor to maintain the grass between 75mm and 150mm, with a cutting height of 75-100mm. No other maintenance is normally carried out at present, apart from occasional litter picking as required.
(3) The condition of the irrigation system is difficult to assess without detailed testing but it is likely that extensive repairs would be necessary if it was to be reinstated, as the system has not been operated for some years.
(4) Many of the sprinkler head components are likely to need replacing as they are an obsolete model and parts are not available. This work is estimated to cost about $4000 - $5,000.
The oval would also need the installation of a new controller to connect it to the computerised management system that is used to operate all sportsground irrigation. This would cost around $12,000.
To bring the whole oval back to a normal maintenance standard would require spraying out of the current weed infested cover, fertilising, scarifying, top dressing and re-seeding with quality turf grasses. This work would cost around $14,000.
(5) The annual cost of maintaining the oval, the surrounds and public toilet block if it was to be reinstated to normal standards for a neighbourhood oval would be in the order of $35,000, depending on seasonal variables, such as water demand.