Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 3 Hansard (7 March) . . Page.. 768..
Gungahlin Development Authority Act-review
(Question No 74)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Planning, upon notice, on 19 February 2002:
In relation to a review of the Gungahlin Development Authority Act 1996:
(1) Given that five years has elapsed since the commencement of the Gungahlin Development Authority Act 1996 has a review of the Act been undertaken.
(2) If so, when will the results of the review be available.
(3) If not, when will the review commence.
Mr Corbell: The answer to Mrs Dunne's question is as follows:
(2) Terms of reference and a process for the review were developed in 2001. It is my understanding that the previous Government decided however to delay the commencement of the review due to the impending election in October 2001.
(3) The Stanhope Government has committed to a major review of planning arrangements in the Territory. This includes the establishment of an Independent Planning Authority. A Taskforce has been established and is currently reviewing models and developing recommendations to report to the Minister for Planning.
This broader review will necessarily examine the functions of Gungahlin Development Authority, its future and its relationship to the Independent Planning Authority. It is therefore considered appropriate that the statutory review take place after the new planning arrangements for the Territory have been determined. New legislation regarding the new Planning Authority is expected to be presented in the Spring sitting period.
In the interim, the Authority will continue to meet its charter of developing the Gungahlin Town Centre and Central Area while new arrangements are being determined.