Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 3 Hansard (7 March) . . Page.. 754..
Australian International Hotel School
(Question No 59)
Mr Cornwell asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 19 February 2002:
In relation to the Australian International Hotel School (AIHS):
(1) How many students received (a) graduation canisters and (b) graduation certification at the graduation ceremony held on 17 December 2001.
(2) How many students who participated in the graduation ceremony on 17 December 2001 will continue to attend classes at AIHS in 2002 and if so why.
(3) How many students were enrolled at AIHS at (a) the beginning and (b) the end of each semester during 2001.
(4) How many students attending AIHS in each semester in 2001 were local (ACT) students who had previously graduated from ACT schools/colleges.
(5) How many (a) continuing students and (b) newly enrolled students are attending the AIHS in the first Semester of 2002.
(6) What is the projected enrolment over 2002.
(7) What has been the impact of the severance of ties with Cornell University in 2001.
(8) Which university now gives it imprimatur to AIHS degrees.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) (a) Forty Six students participated in the Fifth Conferring of Degrees Ceremony held on December 17, 2001. All 46 students received cylinders.
(b) Forty two students received their official testamur in their cylinder following confirmation by the Registrar that they had completed the requirements for admission to the Bachelor of Business (Hotel Management).
(2) Three of the 46 students who participated in the ceremony on 17 December 2001 will attend classes during Term 1, 2002, at the end of which it is expected they will complete the requirements for admission to the BBus(HM). These students participated under the AIHS' "walk through" policy and did not receive a testamur.
One student will complete the requirements for admission to the degree during the middle of Term 1 following completion of the Management Externship Placement and Assignment. This student participated in the ceremony under the AIHS' "walk through" policy and did not receive a testamur.
(3) Enrolments at the beginning of each Term during 2001 were as follows:
Term 1, 2001 = 198
Term 2, 2001 = 187
Term 3, 2001 = 181