Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2001 Week 8 Hansard (9 August) . . Page.. 2989..
Traffic and parking infringement notices
(Question No 392)
Mr Stanhope asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon noticce:
In relation to infringements:
(1) How many infringement notices were issued in the past 12 months for the following offences:
(a) driving with the prescribed concentration of alcohol in the blood;
(b) driving whilst licence suspended;
(c) driving an unregistered motor vehicle;
(f) other moving traffic infringements, and
(g) parking infringements.
2. How many of these notices were paid.
3. What was the total revenue received from these payments.
4. How many of this type of infringement notice were withdrawn after representations were made by the person receiving the notice.
5. How many of this type of infringement notice were disputed and therefore referred to the courts.
6. How many drivers' licences were suspended as a result of non-payment of traffic infringement notices.
7. How many motor vehicle registrations were cancelled as a result of non-payment of infringement notices.
8. How many persons were.prosecuted or had traffic infringement notices issued because their licence or motor vehicle registration had been suspended or cancelled for non payment of traffic infringement notices.
Mr Smyth: The answers to the member's questions are as follows:
All answers relate to data for the period 1 March 2000 to 28 February 2001.
a) Driving with the prescribed concentration of alcohol in the blood is not an infringement notice offence. 1,100 people were placed before the courts for this offence.
b) 354 infringements were issued to people driving on suspended licences.
c) 1,763 infringements were issued to people driving unregistered vehicles.
d) 696 infringements were issued to people for negligent driving offences.
e) 39,444 infringements were issued for speeding offences.
f) 12,380 infringements were issued for other driving or riding offences.
g) 97,073 infringements were issued for parking offences.