Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2001 Week 8 Hansard (9 August) . . Page.. 2941..
School students with disabilities-therapy services
(Question No 380)
Mr Wood asked the Minister for Health, Housing and Community Services, upon notice, on 14 June 2001:
In relation to the review of therapy services for school students with disabilities, conducted by Jill Cameron and Associates:
(1) What factors led to the need for the consultancy.
(2) On whose advice was a review deemed necessary.
(3) What was the cost.
(4) Will the review be released and if so, when.
(5) What outcomes are now proposed.
Mr Moore: The answer to Mr Wood's question is:
(1) In December 1999 the Standing Committee on Education, Community Services and Recreation tabled its Report into Education Services for Students with a Disability (Report No. 3). This Report makes a number of significant recommendations in relation to therapy services for school aged students with disabilities, including:
a review of the mode of delivery of therapy services (Recommendation 9);
review the administrative arrangements for the delivery of therapy services (Recommendation 10); and
support for the development and implementation of a whole of Government planning process for children and young people with a disability (Recommendation 17).
(2) The Government's response agreed with the Committee's recommendations and indicated that there would be one review to address Recommendations 9, 10 and 17.
(3) The Review has been costed at $30,350.
(4) The consultancy is expected to be completed by the end of July 2001.
(5) The Government will need to consider the Review's recommendations.