Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2001 Week 5 Hansard (3 May) . . Page.. 1564..
Children with disabilities-transport
(Question No 359)
Mr Berry asked the Minister for Education, upon notice, on 29 March 2001:
In relation to the transport of children with disabilities:
(1) What changes have been put in place that affects this transport;
(2) What was the previous arrangement; and
(3) What are the before and after costs associated with both systems for each school affected by the changes.
Mr Stefaniak: The answer to Mr Berry's question is:
(1) New contracts came into place on 7 October 2000. The contracts are for the transport of students with disabilities from home to school and return, or to other destinations such as respite care. Following signing of the new contracts ACTION, Keir's Transport and Canberra Cabs continue to provide transport services.
(2) Previously transport for students with disabilities was provided by ACTION, Keir's Transport and Canberra Cabs. Until the change in contract, ACTION had been providing some schools with free transport for excursions when buses and bus drivers were not required for other duties. Not all special schools or special settings received this service.
(3) There are no costs to schools for the transportation to and from school for students with disabilities.