Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2001 Week 5 Hansard (3 May) . . Page.. 1543..
Canberra Hospital-morbidity and mortality statistics
(Question No 351)
Mr Stanhope asked the Minister for Health, Housing and Community Services, upon notice, on 29 March 2001:
In relation to The Canberra Hospital:
(1) Can details be provided of the morbidity and mortality statistics for the last five years, in respect of each of the specialty units of The Canberra Hospital.
(2) When is the coronial inquiry into the most recent maternal death at The Canberra Hospital scheduled.
(3) Will the hospital, any staff member, or any relative of the deceased be legally represented at the inquest.
Mr Moore: The answer to the member's question is:
(1) Mortality statistics for the last five years in respect of each of the specially units at The Canberra Hospital are details on the attached table. Morbidity data has not been provided as it is unclear what is required.
(2) The Coroner has not notified the Hospital or the Government Solicitor's Office of a date for the inquest or whether there will be an inquest with witnesses called.
(3) If there is an inquest with witnesses from the Hospital called to give evidence, the Hospital will be represented by the Government Solicitors Office. It is not known whether staff members or any relative of the deceased would be legally represented at any inquest.