Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2001 Week 5 Hansard (1 May) . . Page.. 1264..
MR MOORE (continuing):
(1) A Select Committee on Estimates 2001-2002 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2001-2002 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 2001-2002 Budget;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) two Members to be nominated by the Independent Members, the ACT Greens or the United Canberra Party;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4.00 pm today.
(3) the Committee report by Friday 8 June 2001;
(4) the Committee to send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker to the Deputy Speaker who is authorised to give directions for its printing, circulation and publication; and
(5) the foregoing provisions of this resolution so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
Mr Speaker, there is a slight variation to the motion put on previous occasions. Now that the government has two backbench members we are seeking to have two members nominated by the government. On previous occasions one member has been nominated by the government because we had only one backbench member to be on the Estimates Committee. Otherwise I understand the motion is the same as in previous years.
Question resolved in the affirmative.
Leave of absence
Motion (by Mr Moore ) agreed to:
That leave of absence from 1 to 4 May 2001 inclusive be given to Mr Kaine.
Justice and Community Safety-Standing Committee
Report No 14
MR OSBORNE (10.37): I present, pursuant to order, the following report:
Justice and Community Safety-Standing Committee-Report No 14-The Defamation Bill 1999, dated 30 April 2001, together with a copy of the extracts of the minutes of proceedings.
That the report be noted.