Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2001 Week 4 Hansard (29 March) . . Page.. 1252..
(Question No 339)
Mr Corbell asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice:
In relation to building projects:
1. Since the introduction of private certification in the ACT building industry at the beginning of 1999, how many building projects, that Bepcon (Building Electrical and Plumbing Control) is aware of.
a. Were (i) commenced and or (ii) completed, without the required building approval
2. Of those projects that were (i) commenced and or (ii) completed, without building approval, how many were:
a. residential houses; and b. commercial buildings.
3. In each of those projects what action, if any, was taken in each instance against the builder.
4. Which of those building projects had a private certifier appointed.
Mr Smyth: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
1. BEPCON is aware of six projects that were commenced without a building approval, three of which were completed without a building approval.
2. Of these six projects, one was a residential house, four were commercial buildings and one was a metal garage on a residential property.
The following table outlines what actions were taken against the builder in each case and indicates if the project had a private certifier appointed:
Project Actions against builder Private certifier appointed
1. Commercial building- Builders License suspended No
Scout Hall at block 16 for 2 months
section 20 Greenway
(commenced without a
2. Commercial building- - The builder is being Yes
Additions to factory prosecuted. DPP has advised
building at block 21 this matter was mentioned in
section 11 Fyshwick the Magistrates Court on 8
(completed without a February 2001 and has been
building approval) put down for further mention
on 5 April 2001