Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2000 Week 12 Hansard (7 December) . . Page.. 3954..
Mr Berry asked the Minister for Education, upon notice, on 5 December 2000:
In relation to the registration of non - government schools:
(1) What applications has the Government received for the registration of (a) new non - government schools or (b) extensions to existing non - government schools in:
(i) 2001; or
(2) Have panels been established as required under the Guidelines for the Registration of Non - Government Schools in the ACT - 1994 to assess these applications and what is the composition of these panels.
(3) Have any panels reported their findings and if so what are their findings.
(4) Has the government approved the registration (a) new non - government schools, or (b) extensions to existing non - government schools for:
(iii) 2001; or
(5) What will be the impact of these new non - government schools or extensions to non - government schools to existing schools, both government and non - government.
Mr Stefaniak: The answer to Mr Berry's questions is:
(1) The Government has received the following applications for:
(a) new non - government schools:
(i) 2001 Blue Gum School
(ii) 2002 Nil applications received: and
(b) extensions of existing schools:
(i) 2001 Orana School - extending to Years 11 & 12
St Francis Xavier College - extending to Years 11 & 12
(ii) 2002 Nil applications received.
(2) Panels were convened for the registrations at Blue Gum School, Orana School, and St Francis Xavier College. These panels were convened in accordance with the Education Act 1937 and the Guidelines for the Registration of Non - Government Schools in the ACT - 1994. The panels were composed of representatives from the Non - Government Schools Office, and senior members of the Government teaching service and Independent sector. Each of these panels visited the respective schools.
(3) Reports have been prepared for the three registrations undertaken in 2000 and the recommendation in each instance is to provisionally register the schools.
(4) The recommendation to provisionally register these schools has been approved.