Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1996 Week 9 Hansard (28 August) . . Page.. 2742..
CONSIDERATION OF ASSEMBLY BUSINESS
Suspension of Standing Orders
Motion (by Mr Humphries) agreed to, with the concurrence of an absolute majority:
That so much of the standing orders be suspended as would prevent notice No. 1, Assembly business, establishing the Select Committee on Estimates 1996-97, being called on forthwith.
MR HUMPHRIES (Attorney-General) (5.21): Mr Speaker, on behalf of the Chief Minister, I move the motion which stands on the notice paper in her name and which reads as follows:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 1996-97 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 1996-97 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 1996 Budget, together with the 1995-96 Annual Reports;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) two Members to be nominated by either the Independent Members or the ACT Greens;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4.00 pm, Thursday, 29 August 1996;
(3) that 4 members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum of the Committee;
(4) the Committee report by 6 November 1996;
(5) if the Assembly is not sitting when the Committee has completed its inquiry, the Committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing and circulation;