Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1996 Week 5 (Hansard) 16 May) . . Page.. 1456..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
ACTEW - Community Service Obligations
(1) Who is responsible for defining ACTEW's community service obligations.
(2) When will these obligations be publicly notified.
(3) Who will be responsible for their monitoring and enforcement.
(4) What will be the role of the Essential Services Committee.
Mr De Domenico -- the answer to the Member's question is as follows:
(1) The ACT Government already funds the major community service obligations of ACTEW's operations relating to pensioner rebates for electricity, water and sewerage.
The process for defining, costing and agreeing further community service obligations delivered by ACTEW Corporation will occur as part of both the Government's Budget process, and consideration of ACTEW Corporation's Statement of Corporate Intent. In these parallel processes, the same principles which apply to on-Budget government agencies as outlined in the Government's guidelines on funding and costing CSO's will form the basis of the process. The final outcomes will be agreed by the voting shareholders, after consulting with ACTEW Corporation's Board.
The independent pricing mechanism, which is to be established by 1 October 1996 will also provide an independent assessment of the service charges for ACTEW's monopoly activities, which will include consideration of some community service obligations related to pricing issues.