Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1996 Week 4 Hansard (18 April) . . Page.. 1151..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
Question No. 198
Canberra Region Medical Foundation
(1) What is the structure of the Foundation.
(2) How is the Foundation administered.
(3) How much has (a) the Foundation accumulated since it was set up; (b) been allocated from the Foundation; and (c) to whom was it allocated.
MRS CARNELL - the answer to the Member's question is:
(1) The Canberra Region Medical Foundation is a private company limited by guarantee. It is not accountable to government in any way. The Foundation has a board of six directors and company secretary. The current President of the Foundation is Mr Pat Brazil, AO. The Foundation offers membership to individuals and companies after they have given money over a certain amount.
(2) An Executive Director, Mr Ian Crawford, was contracted to work part time in January 1996 to administer the Foundation on a day to day basis. He is assisted by a part time project officer through an employment agency. Mr Crawford reports to the Board on a monthly basis.
(3) As the Foundation is a private company, details of financial information is available to its members via the annual report. Therefore only information that has been publicly acknowledged is available for this response.
(a) Casino Canberra gave the Foundation $100,000 in 1994 and Optus Communications pledged $500,000 in cash and kind over ten years. They have provided two cheques of $50,000 to date - one for 1995 and one for 1996.
(b) I am aware that the Foundation has established a Funds Advisory Committee whose role is to advise the Board in regard to allocation of funds. The decisions on allocation of funds are made by the Board and as a private company, the information is not readily available to government.
(c) The information available to government is limited. The National Health Sciences Centre, a company limited by guarantee and of which the Department is a member, received funds earlier this year from the Foundation. Information regarding other allocations may be available through contacting the Foundation directly.